All game carts contain a copy of the required system version to play it, allowing anyone on a lower version to use the cartridge to update to that version (even without an internet connection).
This means that using a Cart Update from a version containing an older Nintendo 3DS Sound version (<7.0.0 for Old 3DSs in the EUR, JPN, KOR, and USA regions) to one that introduced a newer Nintendo 3DS Sound version will break Soundhax! You will need an alternate method of entering the Homebrew Launcher!
This also means that a cart update will NOT install a browser if you do not already have one. This will only update the actual system version (for example, 2.1.0-0 -> 6.0.0-0). The last number (the -0) will not change.
Updating with a game cart containing the version 9.9.0 or above will remove your browser until a standard online update is performed!
What you need
- A game cart that contains the version you wish to update to
- Boot your device into recovery mode by holding (L) + (R) + (A) + (UP) while powering on
- If prompted, decline the update
- Reboot your device
- Put the game in your device if it is not already
- Attempt to launch the game
- Update when prompted